Website Newton County, Georgia
Newton County Board of Commissioners
Newton County, Georgia (pop. 112,500) is seeking applicants for an internship that is currently available with its GIS Department. An intern is needed to help support the GIS Department’s professional staff with some of the duties listed below, and to also assist with the update of the County’s Comprehensive Plan.
An internship with Newton County will serve as an excellent opportunity for a current college student to gain valuable, on-the-job experience while assisting with the development and advancement of our County’s GIS program.
The pay rate for this internship is $15.00 per hour and the position is part-time/temporary. The selected applicant may work up to 20 hours per week (500 hours total) until June 30, 2023.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Researches and verifies addresses needed for a Next-Gen 911 readiness project.
- Produces maps for internal customers and the general public.
- Performs edits to various map layers and geodatabases.
- May design, develop, and deploy web and mobile GIS applications.
- May assist with updating hydrological datasets and our collaboration with FEMA on its modernization of flood hazard maps.
- Will likely assist staff in the Dept. of Development Services with various urban
planning tasks, primarily helping with the update of the County’s Comp Plan.
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent.
- Current enrollment in a Bachelor’s degree program with a major in Geography, GIS, Urban/Regional Planning, or a closely related field.
- Experience using Esri ArcGIS Desktop software (ArcMap or ArcGIS Pro).
- Experience with or interest in web and mobile GIS applications, to include ArcGIS Online, Portal, Field Maps, Survey 123, or Trimble GPS.
- Willingness to learn and contribute to a team environment.
A Letter of Interest and Professional Resume listing relevant job experiences and time worked in each position MUST BE RECEIVED for consideration by 5pm on SEPTEMBER 27, 2022. Please submit all required documents to firstname.lastname@example.org and cc email@example.com with the subject line INTERN POSITION. You may also bring in or mail your letter of interest and resume to Human Resources at 1113 Usher Street, Suite 203, Covington, GA 30014. An application does not need to be submitted for this position.
We will contact by phone or email only those applicants whose qualifications meet our minimum requirements and are selected to move forward in the process. We comply with the Drug Free Workplace Guidelines. Newton County is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org