Bluffton Township Fire District
Under the direct supervision of the Battalion Chief – CRR, the Data and GIS Analyst position manages the District’s data layers and is responsible for data analyses and data within the Operations Records Management Systems and GIS Mappings. This is accomplished by collecting, analyzing, and distributing data necessary for the overall operations, community risk and accreditation of the District. This position requires strong analytical abilities, broad relevant technical knowledge, excellent written and verbal communication skills, and exceptional customer service skills.
Essential Job Functions
The following duties are normal for this position. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each duty satisfactorily. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Creates and distributes reports that assist in identifying trends in medical, fire and rescue service-related matters.
- Conducts and manages extensive research initiatives; prepares statistical data, completes reports and correspondence; provides requested data for grant proposals, requests for proposals, contracts, Memoranda of Understanding, and other documents often technical in nature.
- Utilizes Geographic Information Systems (GIS) to produce computer-generated maps displaying risk activity throughout the District.
- Prepares and analyzes statistical data reports used for Fire/Rescue operations management and other District divisions.
- Collects data for computer-aided dispatch (CAD) from various sources to include response times, apparatus and equipment maintenance, risk management (pre-incident survey), community risk assessment data, and incident report data in compliance with National Fire Incident Report System (NFIRS) and South Carolina Fire Incident Report System guidelines.
- Maintains the O-RMS configurations including agency preferences, user, and group administration, and troubleshooting functionality problems.
- Performs audit-related queries from the O-RMS in preparation for sending required information to requesting governmental agencies; identifies and corrects errors accordingly.
- Formats data from the O-RMS, CAD, and other systems into usable format for analysis.
- Analyzes and maintains data layers in the District’s geographic information system (GIS).
- Performs GIS mapping work during emergency/disaster situations as part of the Emergency Operations Center response team.
- Maintains GIS databases and creates customized reports to support a data-driven approach to district activities.
- Applies knowledge of fire techniques into making GIS analysis. Considers geo-spatial and demographic factors when performing GIS analysis and adjusts for resource allocation.
- Provides technical assistance to other staff regarding the O-RMS, GIS, Excel, and various query processes.
- Creates a user manual/on the job training to allow District staff to remain proficient with this technology.
- Participates in GIS system development and maintenance, provides backup support of critical systems and processes, assists in the configuration and development of new software application, evaluates specifications of GIS software and equipment, and participates in development of short and long term strategies for responding to software and hardware advances in technology.
- Maintain current knowledge of trends and developments in performance measurement through independent research, continuing education and professional affiliations. Research and develop recommendations to revise existing key performance measures for department services and programs utilizing industry standards, national recommendations, and best practices;
- Researches new analytical tools and processes for implementation and/or budget submissions.
- Initiates, facilitates, and attends various meetings to solicit input, disseminate information, present reports, and address project planning issues.
- Establishes a good rapport with clients, staff and maintains that relationship.
- Coordinates special projects with the Town of Bluffton and Beaufort County GIS Departments.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Modern fire and EMS principles, procedures, techniques, and equipment;
Applicable laws, ordinances, and District rules and regulations;
- ESRI and ARCGIS systems;
- District’s operations records management systems software and structure;
GIS programming language, applications and operations;
- Computer applications to include but not limited to Excel, Word, ARGGIS, CAD, ESRI, Fireworks, and other related programs;
- Organization and time management to prioritize duties to accomplish a high volume of work product while adapting to constant changes in priority;
- Skill in researching and understanding complex written materials;
- Prepare clear, concise, and comprehensive written resorts, graphs, tables and statistical charts to internal and external customers;
- Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with other age
- Utilize specialized computer software such as Microsoft Office Suite (including PowerPoint, Word, and Excel), Adobe Professional, and District record management systems;
- Perform mathematical calculations both individually and within spreadsheets and computer programs;
- Input and extract data for analysis, and develop reports, and provide recommendations;
- Give verbal and written instructions;
- Communicate clearly, concisely, and effectively in both oral and written forms with staff, administration, and the public;
- Understand and effectively carry out local policies and procedures, written instructions, general correspondence, and Federal, State, and local regulations;
- Perform detailed work accurately and independently in compliance with stringent time limits with minimal direction and supervision;
- Prepare and maintain accurate and concise records;
- Maintain confidentiality and discretion regarding business-related files, reports, and conversations, within the provisions of Freedom of Information Act and other applicable State and Federal statutes and regulations;
Required Education, Experience, Licensing, and Certifications
- Associates in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Public Administration, Sociology, Psychology, or related field, and seven (7) years of industry experience.
- Bachelors Degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Public Administration, Sociology, Psychology, or related field, and four (4) years of industry experience.
- Computer Programming Certifications, preferred
- AHA Heartsaver CPR, AED/First Aid, within one year of employment
- Certification from the Federal Emergency Management Administration (FEMA), within one year of employment
- IS-100 Introduction to the Incident Command
- IS-200 Incident Command for Single Resources
- IS-700 An Introduction to the National Incident Management System
- IS-800 National Response Framework: An Introduction
Physical and Work Environment
The physical and work environment characteristics described in this description are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this
job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions or as otherwise required by law. Employees needing reasonable
accommodation should discuss the request with the employee’s supervisor.
- Work is predominately sedentary, requiring sitting, standing, speaking, seeing, hearing, hand dexterity, repetitive motion and requires walking, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, and reaching.
- May be subject to extended periods of intense concentration.
Nothing in this job description limits management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
To apply for this job please visit joinbtfd.applicantstack.com.