Website Northeast Georgia Regional Commission
The Northeast Georgia Regional Commission (NEGRC) is seeking a qualified GIS (Geographic Information System) Transportation Intern within its Planning & Government Services (PGS) Division. The GIS Transportation Intern will assist PGS staff with GIS work related to transportation infrastructure mapping in the Northeast Georgia region through the Roadway Element Validation and Mapping Program (REVAMP) and other general planning related activities. Responsibilities will include data validation, capture, and creation, as well as the development of maps and graphics. This position will primarily involve in-office work, with flexible scheduling to accommodate academic schedules as appropriate.
The ideal candidate will have experience and a working knowledge in GIS technology including, but not limited to: spatial data analysis and maintenance, design, and cartography. Experience in Esri products (ArcGIS Pro) is a requirement.
The NEGRC provides services to 12 counties and 54 cities in Northeast Georgia through its offices located in Athens, GA. This position reports to the NEGRC’s GIS Planner. For more information on the NEGRC’s PGS Division, visit https://negrc.org/planning-government-services.
Example of Duties
- Perform GIS data capture, review, and formatting to meet the standards of the Georgia Department of Transportation (GDOT) and any other state or federal entities.
- Assist PGS staff with preparing and presenting information in both informal and formal settings and with meeting facilitation, when required.
- Support the Division’s work on a variety of planning efforts including the following types of projects: comprehensive plans, bicycle/pedestrian plans, historic preservation imagery catalogs, etc.
- Support the Division’s work on a variety of regional plans and studies.
Desirable Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Theories, concepts, and principles of cartography, geographic information systems, GIS data management, and research methods
- GIS applications (specifically, Esri desktop and cloud-based) pertaining to planning and community development initiatives)
- Parcel data, including tax assessor data (qpublic)
- Spatial data analysis and maintenance, cartography, and demographic analysis
- Esri products (ArcGIS Pro)
- Advanced computer applications
- Research and analytics
- Written and oral communication
- Organization and time-management
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously with competing deadlines
- Ability to work independently and on project teams
- Coordinate with state and federal agency partners such as GDOT, the Georgia Department of Community Affairs (DCA), and the U.S. Census Bureau in meeting their respective programmatic requirements.
- Work in close coordination with the NEGRC’s PGS staff in performing tasks associated with individual projects.
Minimum Qualifications: Training & Experience Requirements
Undergraduate degree or in the process of obtaining an undergraduate degree from an accredited college or university with GIS experience.
The ideal candidate will be a student currently enrolled in a planning, geography, or similar graduate program that has already completed GIS coursework and has an interest in transportation planning.
Compensation & Duration of Internship
$15/hour for 15-20 hours/week
Initial internship will begin June 1, 2023 and end August 11, 2023 with the possibility of extending to December 1, 2023.
Submit a resume and cover letter to:
Amber Bailey, HR Manager, email@example.com
Mail to: Northeast Georgia Regional Commission, Attn: Amber Bailey, 305 Research Drive, Athens, GA 30605-2795.
No telephone inquiries accepted. Position open until filled. The NEGRC is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.
To apply for this job please visit negrc.org.