Job Title: GIS Analyst / Public Works
Closing Date: 6/23/2021
The purpose of this job is to perform technical functions associated with the department’s Geographic Information System (GIS). Duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to, coordinating geographic information system functions; producing and maintaining a computerized map base; managing and updating GIS data; performing research; providing training, information, and education; performing computer maintenance functions; preparing correspondence, reports, and documentation; and performing additional tasks as assigned.
Bachelor’s Degree in geography, engineering, public administration or related field with two years of experience involving GIS database design and implementation or Stormwater GIS and Engineering experience required; or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for this position.
Essential Duties, Responsibilities
The following duties are normal for this job. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Assists in establishing, administering, and maintaining the Unified Government’s Geographic Information System; coordinates GIS system functions; creates digital databases; manages and updates GIS data.
- Provides staff support and professional assistance with regards to GIS, databases, and related software and hardware.
- Performs research functions as appropriate; assists other staff members with research projects.
- Coordinates with other ACCGov Departments, UGA, GDOT, and other agencies and groups in the collection and analysis of data.
- Provides training, education, and assistance to staff members concerning GIS technology and software use.
- Performs basic maintenance functions on computer hardware and software programs; reviews software programs and makes recommendations.
- Prepares and/or generates routine correspondence, reports, forms, charts, graphs, tables, spreadsheets, and other documentation via computer and/or typewriter.
- Receives various documentation; reviews, processes, responds, forwards, maintains, and/or takes other actions as appropriate.
- Answers the telephone; provides information, guidance, and assistance; takes and relays messages and/or directs calls to appropriate personnel; returns calls as necessary.
- Responds to routine requests for information from officials, employees, and members of the staff, the general public, or other individuals.
- Maintains a working knowledge of various computer equipment and software programs.
- Maintains a comprehensive, current knowledge and awareness of applicable laws/regulations; reads professional literature; maintains professional affiliations; attends workshops and training sessions as appropriate.
- Performs updates and maintains the stormwater infrastructure database for the entire ACC and Winterville Municipal Separate Storm Sewer Systems (MS4), including street inlets, storm pipes, roadside ditches, driveway pipes, stormwater control measures such as detention basins and green infrastructures, etc., using available information sources including field mapping, site surveys, plans, aerial photographs, etc.
- Updates impervious surface area for the Athens-Clarke County stormwater utility by using aerial photography, plans, site visits, and other sources.
- Generates documents, reports, maps, forms, charts, spreadsheets, and other documentation for compliance under the National Pollution Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) Stormwater Phase II Permit.
- Assists in the review and approval of civil site plans and related documents as needed for compliance with stormwater management and sediment and erosion control criteria in ACCGov ordinances, and obtains all certifications required for such work.
- Assists in assessing existing detention basins for water quality retrofit potential and in other studies that may involve delineation and measurement of watershed areas, hydrologic modeling, hydraulic modeling, or water quality modeling.
- Assists in the assignment and maintenance of the Athens-Clarke County master address billing database.
- Works with other staff on public outreach, public participation, illicit discharge detection and elimination, sediment and erosion control, long-term stormwater control measures, and good housekeeping practices.