Posting expires: 03/04/20
Salary range: $58,800 – $98,000
Here at the City of Atlanta, we are passionate about building and improving our community. Our Police Officers, Fire Fighters, and Building Inspectors keep our Citizens safe. Our Public Works Staff keep our City clean and help to maintain, build, and improve our City’s infrastructure. Our City planners help envision and shape future City growth. Our Parks & Recreation professionals enhance our quality of life. Our Engineers help to keep our drinking water clean, the largest airport in the world (by passenger volume) operating, and our buildings maintained. Along with the host of Finance, Procurement, and Human Resources professionals whose support is vital, we are the City of Atlanta! If you’re seeking a meaningful role where you can make a real difference improving and growing our City, we welcome you to explore the job opportunities we have to offer.
General Description and Classification Standards
Coordinates GIS projects and activities in the City. Uses geospatial technology expertise to provide support for various departments as it relates to the needs of users to access GIS Datasets and Applications. This is a Senior level position capable of carrying out most assignments under general direction.
Works under very general supervision. May work independently or with other skilled or semi-skilled workers with responsibility for completion of assigned tasks.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities These are typical responsibilities for this position and should not be construed as exclusive or all inclusive. May perform other duties as assigned.
- Coordinates and assigns GIS personnel to projects.
- Provides team lead oversight on projects including quality assurance, data analysis, map production and report production.
- Provides technical support to staff and other departments to ensure that the Department of Watershed Management GIS system is meeting the needs of the department’s missions.
- Provides daily management of city’s enterprise geographic information system servers, and related workstations.
- Maintains, creates, and updates GIS databases. This includes database design, GIS applications, and ArcGIS Server instances.
Selects from multiple procedures and methods to accomplish tasks. May make purchasing recommendations or resource allocation decisions within organization guidelines. Applies organizational policies. May interpret organizational policies and recommend exceptions.
Serves as a technical resource or mentor to other employees. May lead or instruct less experienced workers in high level or technical jobs.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities This is a partial listing of necessary knowledge, skills, and abilities required to perform the job successfully. It is not an exhaustive list.
- Specialized knowledge of ESRI ArcGIS Suite including Desktop, ArcGIS Server/Enterprise, and ArcGIS Online. Familiarity with Model Builder, Python, SQL or similar in an Oracle environment. Ability to resolve issues without escalation. Substantial understanding of the job and applies knowledge and skills to complete a wide range of tasks. Specialized knowledge of personal computers and related systems and networks.
- Knowledge of Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and Global Positioning Systems (GPS) principles. Appropriate application of theory, re-engineering design, and systems development practices.
- Skilled in using a range of software tools for GIS map creation and maintenance, data analysis, and Internet-enabled GIS.
- Makes modifications to existing applications based on user needs and specifications, software, database, and operating systems. Skill in managing administrative tasks, projects, and ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with customers receiving GIS services.
Minimum Qualifications – Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Geography, Computer Science, or a related field.
- 6 years of work experience in GIS support.
Preferred Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Geography, Computer Science, or a related field
- 8 years of work experience in GIS support.
Licensures and Certifications
- GISP or Esri Technical Certification preferred.
Essential Capabilities and Work Environment
Required physical, lifting, and sensory capabilities are requirements to perform the job successfully. Typical environmental conditions associated with job.
City of Atlanta is an equal opportunity employer.